Sunday, May 1, 2016

Eternal

What is that anyway: Eternal love? 
For me the reason why I keep painting Psyche, Eros and red roses. it is something out of bounds for us. A wisp of a dream and longing. Maybe we have felt it ever so briefly. Not to be captured, sealed in a box. In our hearts? I hope so.
We search for metaphors and symbols. There have been so many sculptures and stories made about these two mythological lovers. Most all are classical-romantic=idealized.
Years ago a Flemish girl friend gave me a small replica of a terracotta sculpture found in the ruins of the Roman settlement, 1st to 3rd C. AD. It is in the Gallo-Roman Museum in Tongeren, Belgium. Amazing how it had survived. This small image is simple and clear=a woman and man,naked, holding each other and looking out into the world, proud and human. 
This image stays with me.


No comments:

Post a Comment